Monday, February 4, 2013

Quick recap

Well my inlaws went back to Japan... And I've been pretty bummed out since they left because we just had a grand time!  We went shopping, tourist hopping, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm...you name it and we did it.  It made me appreciate A- that I married into such a loving family and B- that California is a pretty amazing place and that I should stop complaining about living here as oppose to Alabama.

Akira's mom and I cried when we said good bye at the airport... And by the end of the trip the no hugging rule disappeared cause we spent a good few parts of the day just hugging each other.  I think they are more relaxed here in the States then in Japan...less worried over social stigma I guess.  It was great to see them...and it was also great to learn that while my verbal skills in Japanese is still shit my listening skills are MUCH better then they were in Japan.  I was able to actually understand most of the conversations going on and Akira caught that a few times cause I'd respond in English half the time instead of keeping my mouth shut cause I was so excited.

I think he was pretty happy about it actually.  I'm sure I'd be a lot better if I actually studied... I'm kinda of half assing it the way I learned Farsi and Arabic... But since the grammar of all three is so close (must be an Eastern thing to talk like yoda) it's a little easier then I thought.  I still think Arabic is the hardest... Only because they have so many words for the same shit and then so many detailed words (for instance... There are hundreds of words for 'sand' which I find pretty funny but I'm sure they don't lol).

Anyhow.... We are going to be in Japan during Golden Week this time... So I need to brace myself for crowds of people because it looks like we will be spending most our trip in the Tokyo area.  I'm not exactly thrilled by that... I was kind of hoping to finally go to Sopporro to see where Akira studied and hopefully some cherry blossoms... But I will be seeing something I've been dying to see since I've heard of it.  A Japanese mock Christian wedding!!!!  I find it extremely entertaining a that they find religion so playful and it's one of the few things they put zero seriousness to.  Now coming from the south I was raised in the Bible belt where just saying 'oh my God' would make my Mama's belt swing so quick on my ass it would truly make my head spin.  As a result I've longed disliked such strict organized religions (I'm a Sufi) so when I heard the Japanese made a pretty much stage mockery of Christianity... Well... That just topped my bucket list so to say.

However....I was also told pretty strictly not to laugh or make fun of it....which I won't I mean it's my sister in law's wedding....but I sure as hell will find it entertaining!

Other than that... I will be going back to Alaska this coming march... Akira and I will be roaring tripping across the icy state to see our family near the north pole (nope I'm not joking they are an hour away from the north pole).  So I'm excited about that.  Alaska is like a cold version of Alabama and California rolled into one massive state.  

So... This spring will be full of traveling.

We have started as well our green card process.  I will go into that detail in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment