Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Bright side

I know that my postings  on Japan have come off very gloomy....so I have decided to write about some things I did like...starting with wear to find good coffee.  In the the land of tea, finding decent coffee became a mission for me.  Besides Starbucks...there were vending machines everywhere with canned coffee.  Some hot some cold...but again...not quite what I needed to get my caffiene in take (which is extreme) fix.

Thus came....Mister Donut.

The coffee was strong, the doughtnuts were good, and everything was cheap.... so I was very impressed. 

I came home and googled it, turns out Mister Donut is from the States, started in 1956 and is now called Dunkin Donuts in the USA.  Course we all know Dunkin Donuts. 

But...none the less...it was a happy little place for me in Japan...though I was disappointed it isn't a Japanese chain...but Akira pointed out something...

Rarely do the Japanese invent something.  They just improve.  So I should see Mister Donuts as an improved Dunkin Donuts.

To be honest...I'm going to find a Dunkin Donuts and see if there's even a difference.

Anyhow, the coffee was very good. 

The trash systems are nice.  It's very nice to see recycling over there in full force... 

Hot springs are AMAZING.  It easily turned me into jello. 

The nature itself is very pretty and very simular to the Southeast States...so I felt very comfortable in the wild.  Save for when a snake fell down the stairs of a shrine I was visiting that scared the abosolute shit out of me.

I loved how much wood was used in the building.  Again, reminded me of the South, and my childhood when I slept on our persian carpets with my nose close to the wood so I could smell it. 

I love that you have to take your shoes off everywhere.  Again, grew up with that, and I think everyone should take their shoes off whenever and wherever you enter someone's house.  God made dirt and dirt don't hurt, but it's annoying to clean. 

The bathroom shoes were just for show.  I didn't quite care for that.  Unless step.

I did enjoyed the warmed up toilet seats.

The food, in all it's glory, is amazing.  From 7/11 to fancy serviced dinners to revovling sushi...the Japanese do understand how to make food, and to make it well. 

I did miss sour and spicy things...and I missed real meat like lamb and beef...but other than that, very good eats.

Didn't really care for a good deal of the fashion...not that it was the clothes' faults...  it was more like the way it was assembled...but I did enjoy that the clothes made in China were even cheaper in Japan, so now I know that if Hell freezes over and we move there that there is no need to stock up on clothing. 

I loved how safe Japan was...now...safe...I mean by theft.  My purse magically returned to me a number of times (all times I left it on purpose to test what would happen since I did study Criminalogy...I was always facinated with this fact that the Japanese have a 98% crime solve rate, and usually it's due to the actual Japanese people, not the police)

Japan is not very safe for women's bodies.  In fact, it's a damn shame guns are illegal there because there were quite a few men I wouldn't have minded shooting their balls off.

I did enjoy the overly soft voices of everyone. 

I did enjoy the size of the shower/tub room.

I missed dryers.

I missed ovens.

I did enjoy the rain...even though it was in the form of a typhoon. 

I didn't really get to go out to a bar...which had been on my list...

.....well...that's all I can think of right now....

I could comment on this picture for Miss Mister Donut...but...why bother.  Japan is a land made for men. 





http://www.japantoday.com/category/picture-of-the-day/view/miss-mister-donuts


Like Akira told me, I would finally find a place more repressive to women then I would ever find in the middle east.

True.  Japan had succeed in masking "equal rights" by constant demeaning media and social pressures to keep well educated women...to pretend to act like children and to basically accept most sexual advances. 



2 comments:

  1. Holy crap, all those years and I never had any idea Mister Donut was Dunkin Donuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!! I was like, wtf!? I haven't been to a Dunkin Donuts in forever, so I'm on a mission now! I literally became obbessed with Mister Donut while I was there...their coffee became my crack, lol.

      Delete