Thursday, April 19, 2012

I like my tea and my coffee...my coffee and my tea


Sorry, I'm hyped up at work...not working...
I'm co-owner in a tiny computer company here in Orange County...so when we are dead...there's really nothing to do... sooooo....
After my chance run in with Akira, and after a good deal of mom telling me over and over that it wasn't arranged...and after my grandfather dying and going to dc only to come back and total my car...
I finally agreed to meet Akira offically, much to my mother's and Hisayo's joy.
First we were all suppose to go to Sea World...which I thought was safe because I could be mildly entertaining and let the fishes do the rest...then it got switched to bowling because at the time Akira was gone on the weekends for work...
So on a Tuesday night, after work and my drive I finally reached San Diego around 8ish to meet up with my mother, Hisayo and Akira. From what I was TOLD it was just suppose to introduce us so we could be friends, sinec Akira had only been there for about six months and really hadn't connected with anyone yet.
I thought that was great (not that he hadn't connected with anyone, but the whole friendship ordeal) because when I left Orange County after be left abondaned at LAX with a fake engagement ring and a black eye (my ex was from Saudi Arabia)...I had ZERO friends in San Diego...save for more Saudi men...which I had abosolute no desire to hang out with.
So I happily beebopped to the bowling lane, only to have my mother flag me down and tell me that the alley was closed due to a tournoment. Hisayo told Akira to meet us instead at a Thai Cafe.
My heart stopped.
I was too tired to be witty, too sober to be calm. I started freaking out and trying to find a way to get out of it, but Hisayo decided that my mom should wait for Akira (who took the 15 min of free time he rarely had to pop his clothes in the wash) and join us since we hadn't reserved a table.
Well I just started to freak out, but Hisayo is this, too cool, kind of tom boy woman...and her cool exterior is something I tried to copy. So as we waited for a table, she sat coolely next to me and I started to fiddle with my hair.
So...how old is he? I ask her. She shrugged and said, I dunno, young.
Than she told me to stop playing with my hair and we sat down at the table where she instantly ordered me plum wine and sake, and told me to drink up and calm down. (I have to say, I do have a soft spot for that woman).
After my first glass, and a bit of stupidity or courage was induced in me, Akira and my mother popped up.
Long story short, we clicked. Same music, same views, same likes, same dorkiness...we just completely clicked. I liked him so much that I decided that I was going to help him find a girlfriend and instantly told him about my best friend who was from Japan too and was half Persian too. And he just nodded and kept asking me question after question. What baseball team did I love? Would I go sky diving? Longest road trip? On and on... and finally I just asked for his number because I was getting quite tipsy and I just thought I found my friend's soulmate.
As soon as I pulled out I got a text from him that he wanted to go out after he came back from Chicago and that he was really happy that he met me. Aww, I thought, what a nice guy! So I told him the same and agreed. I instantly started plotting the bar crawl since every Japanese person I've ever met drink like a fish...
Little did I know what would happen to me the following Friday...
Above is a picture from that faithful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment